Most people feel that regular oiling and hair masks applied once a week are enough to maintain the overall health of hair. But the fact is that hair growth and health depends on various factors like climate, pollution, weather, dirt, and UV rays. These elements can cause damage to hair. For sorting this out, we require proper hair treatments that can nourish and revitalize the hair. A hair spa is one such hair care treatment that improves the hair texture and helps to flaunt it shiny, soft, and nourished. But many of you would have an enormous amount of questions in your mind regarding hair spas. So, this article will serve as a prerequisite guide for you before spending your hard-earned money on a hair spa.
What Is a Hair Spa?
A hair spa is defined as a hair care treatment provided by salons to make the hair stronger, healthier, and nourished. As it is said, to solve an issue, it should be treated from its roots. Just like that, for healthy hair, you need to keep your scalp healthy and clean. If the scalp is unhealthy, it will damage your hair. For that, it is important to moisturize hair follicles and roots. The hair spa helps you to repair the damaged hair and roots by hydrating it intensely.
Types of Treatments Under Hair Spa
The various types of treatments available at hair spas are:
- Hair growth treatment: Hair spa involves hair growth treatments that help to promote hair growth by preventing hair loss and its major causes.
- Deep conditioning of hair: Deep conditioning treatments are provided for dry and damaged hair. They use masks that consist of hydrating agents. This makes her moisturized.
- De – stresser Treatment: There are various causes for hair loss. One such major issue is stress. In hair spa, it involves de- stresser treatments. It helps to prevent the production of free radicals that causes oxidative damage. Thus, keeps you relaxed and prevents damage.
- Dandruff treatments: Dandruff caused by Malassezia furfur causes hair loss and scalp inflammation. Hair spas, use various anti-fungal and anti-microbial ingredients to remove and prevent dandruff.
- Chemically treated hair: This treatment, helps to fortify the damaged hair due to constant coloring, styling, and chemical treatments.
- Smoothening treatments: These treatments reduce interfiber friction between hair strands. It treats frizziness and makes hair soft and shiny.
- Hair restoration treatment: This treatment is for intense hair repair. Most of the hair which is damaged by UV rays, pollution, dirt, etc can be repaired through this process.
- Aromatherapy: This treatment includes the usage of essential oils to stimulate hair growth. It also helps you to feel calm and relaxed.
- Massaging therapy: massaging of the scalp can increase blood circulation and improves hair growth.
Advantages of Hair Spa
Hair spa benefits are:
- Reduce stress: Stress is a major issue that causes hair fall. This treatment involves lots of massages that increase blood circulation. Thus, lowering the stress level.
- Moisturization of scalp and hair: Hair spa involves various essential oils and hair masks that include hydrating ingredients. This can keep the scalp moisturized and healthy.
- Treats dandruff: Hair spa consists of ingredients that remove dandruff and dandruff-causing microbes. It helps to balance the pH level of the scalp.
- Removes impurities: The hair spa helps in removing impurities and unclogs the scalp pores.
- Improves blood circulation: Massaging increases blood circulation. It helps to bring nutrients to hair follicles. Thus resulting in voluminous hair.
Disadvantages of Hair Spa
Hair spa disadvantages are:
- Expensive: The hair spa price ranges from 800 to 2000. This is quite expensive. Many people can’t afford it. But there are home hair spa treatments that can be done by yourselves.
- Regularity: The treatment had to be done at regular intervals for results. It should be done monthly for effective results.
- Fade the hair color: Hair spa can fade the color of colored hair. Ask your therapist to apply a color protectant to prevent hair color from fading.
- Requirement of proper hair care regime: Hair spa alone cannot treat your hair. It also requires a proper hair care regimen for better hair growth.
Hair Spa at Parlour
The hair spa is majorly done by salons. They have expert therapists who can carry out the treatment effectively. Even though spas at parlors are a bit expensive, it’s worth the price. Other than a hair treatment, it is also a part of the pampering routine. Considering a hair spa once a month is very effective. The steps of a hair spa are:
- Shampooing: Before starting the process, your hair is washed properly with shampoo. It will help to remove the dirt and dead cells on your scalp and hair.
- Hair mask: A serum-like mask is applied to your scalp as a hair mask. It helps to remove dryness and scalp build-up. It makes hair more strong, smooth, and more shiny.
- Massage: massage is done to make sure that the mask reaches everywhere on your scalp. It helps to increase blood circulation. Thus helps to increase the volume of hair.
- Steaming: steaming helps to open the pores of your scalp which will help the previously applied mask to get into the scalp.
- Rinsing: After steaming, wash the hair off with water.
Hair Spa at Home
If you can’t invest in spa treatment at a salon, don’t worry. It can be done at home by using easily available and feasible ingredients. They are:
1. Oiling: The best way to kick start a hair spa is with a hot oil massage. For that take some almond oil ( for hair growth), olive oil (conditions hair), few drops of tea tree oil ( for removing flakes). mix this well. Apply it on the scalp and massage it in a circular motion. It stimulates hair growth.
2. Steam: In order to open the pores and let the oil penetrate the scalp, steaming is important. Take a bowl of hot water. Dip a fast-absorbing towel in it. Later cover it around your head and put on a shower cap. This prevents the steam from escaping. Keep it for 15 mins.
3. Scalp scrub: Exfoliating the scalp is necessary to remove dead cells and make a way for fresh skin. For that take 2 spoons of brown sugar and 1 spoon of coconut oil. Mix it well. Apply to your scalp and scrub. This should be used while taking shower but before applying shampoo.
4. Cleanse and rinse: Rinse off the scrub and oil applied on the scalp with cold water. Apply a paraben and sulfate-free shampoo. Later apply conditioner on strands for 5 mins and wash them off.
5. Conditioning of hair: A deep conditioning treatment can be done by adding one teaspoon of jojoba oil to some cooked rice and apply on hair strands. after 20 mins, wash it off.
PS: the quantities of products should be taken on the basis of the length of your hair. Please do a patch test before the application.
Dos and Donts After Hair Spa
Dos after Hair spa are:
- Use a wide tooth comb to prevent the breakage of hair.
- Clean and healthy diet.
- Keep hydrated at regular intervals.
Donts after hair spa are:
- Avoid using hair styling tools that produce too much heat.
- Don’t tie up your hair soo tightly. Try to keep it open.
- Put on a hat or scarf while going out to protect your hair from UV damage.
Some Important Facts on Hair Spa
- Hair spas usually last for 15 – 30 days, if the dos and don’ts are followed well after the treatment.
- It is always convenient to do a hair spa every 15 days. If you travel a lot, try to do it 2-3 times a month. But if you feel it is expensive and out of budget, then do it once a month.
- Follow the instructions of the hair spa therapist in case of hair wash after treatment. Ideally, it is suggested to wash only after 3- 5 days after treatment. But this varies according to the products used.
- There is no age limit for hair spas. But talk to hair professionals before doing it for children below 14 in order to avoid harsh products for the scalp.
Everyone wishes to have the hair that is seen in advertisements. But the fact is that it requires a lot of attention and care to achieve it. A hair spa and the hair care regimen after that can help you to achieve such hair. Most people tend not to do hair spas due to budget constraints. But it can also be done at home at a more feasible rate. Hope this article had helped you to get an idea on Hair spa.
1. Is a hair spa good for hair?
Yes, a hair spa helps to revitalize damaged hair. It moisturizes the scalp and promotes hair growth.
2. What is a hair spa treatment?
A hair spa treatment is a hair care treatment provided by salons to make the hair stronger, healthier, and nourished.
3. How long will the hair spa last?
A hair spa lasts for 15 – 30 days if it is provided with good hair care after the treatment.
4. Dos and don’t after hair spa?
Dos of hair spa are: Use a wide tooth comb to prevent the breakage of hair, Clean and healthy diet, and Keep hydrated at regular intervals.
Dont’s of hair spa are: Avoid using hair styling tools that produce too much heat and Don’t tie up your hair soo tightly. Try to keep it open, Put on a hat or scarf while going out to protect your hair from UV damage.
5. Can I oil my hair after the Hair spa?
Don’t apply oil immediately after a hair spa. Let your hair relax for a while.