Pimples and acne on the skin are always irritating. But what if it comes under the armpit? of course, it will be unpleasant.
The armpit comprises various sweat glands and hair follicles, making it more prone to acne and pimples. The contact and rubbing between the clothes and underarm skin can make this more itchy, painful, and annoying.
This blog will help you explore the causes, treatment, prevention, and a perfect underarm routine for the prevention of armpit pimples.
What Is An Armpit Pimple?
The underarm consists of various sweat glands and it is one of the warmest parts of the body. So, there are huge chances for the sweat glands to get clogged. This results in bacterial buildup, thus forming bumps called pimples under your armpit. These pimples are usually harmless and appear as small, red, inflamed bumps with itching. In most cases, it disappears on its own. But if it gets more painful, it is better to consult a doctor. Different creams, ointments, and roll-ons are available for this purpose. But mostly, it ends up in skin rashes and is also harmful to sensitive skin.
Armpit Pimple Causes And Prevention
There are several reasons for causing armpit pimples. They are:
1. Ingrown Hair
Cause: Ingrown hair is developed when removed hair grows back and curves into the skin. This can cause pimples under the armpits and are often painful. This is caused due to wrong shaving, waxing, and other hair removal methods. They usually go on their own but if it becomes worse, consult a doctor.
Prevention: the better prevention for ingrown hair is to adopt a proper shaving routine. They are:
- Exfoliate your underarm before shaving by using a scrub. There are both homemade and other scrubs available at the market. This will helps you to remove dirt and dead skin cells.
- Apply a skin barrier like aloe vera gel before shaving for smooth application.
- Remove your hair using a single-blade razor. Shave it in only in one direction.
- Wash it properly and clean it with a fresh towel.
Causes: folliculitis is red, pus-filled pimples caused due to infection on hair follicles. it is mainly due to bacterial build-up. Mostly it clears it up on its own but in extreme cases, it can worsen.
Prevention: the best way to prevent this condition is to follow an underarm care routine which you will find in this blog.
3. Contact Dermatitis
Causes: sometimes, there are chances to get bumps under the armpits when you suddenly use a new deodorant or a detergent, perfume, etc. it is because you are allergic to certain ingredients.
Prevention: It is always better to research about ingredient list in a product before purchasing in order to prevent allergies. By consulting a doctor, they will recommend a topical ointment to soothe rashes and itchiness.
4. Hidradenitis Sppurativa
Causes: they are pimple breakouts with foul-smelling discharge. doctors haven’t found the actual cause for this condition. It is not contagious and is not caused due to lack of hygiene or infection. But several studies state that it is caused due to genetic links.
Prevention: doctors usually prescribe antibiotics for their treatment but in severe cases, it is advisable to undergo surgery.
Causes: sweating profusely can cause infection on the underarms due to extreme bacterial build-up.
Prevention: the preventive measure for it is to adopt perfect hygiene and underarm routine.
How To Treat Armpit Pimples?
The underarms are the most ignored area of your body. But it is an area that requires more hygiene management. You should regularly take care of your underarms. As mentioned, the accumulation of oil and bacteria can cause pimples, and it can get rid of:
- Exfoliation: Exfoliating your skin with proper scrubs can remove dirt and dead cells, which will help to remove pimples and acne.
- Usage of natural deodorant: Using deodorants on underarms without checking the ingredient list can further worsen the condition. Try to use fragrance, aluminium-free deodorants which are hypoallergenic.
- Switching hair removal techniques: If shaving causes underarm pimples, swap it with techniques like a laser.
- Aloe vera gel: Aloe vera gel can soothe irritation and prevent acne.
Common Preventive Measures
- Wear clothes that can breathe: Armpits are areas that are often not exposed. So, the chances of sweating a lot are more. Wearing tight clothes can lead to cause friction and thus results in pimples. Wear loose-fitting cotton clothes that keep the underarms dry and free of moisture.
- Use fresh razors before shaving.
- Apply a skin barrier like shaving cream or aloe vera gel before shaving.
- Soak underarm in water mixed with salt before shaving.
- Shave only in one direction.
A Perfect Underarm Routine
Following a perfect underarm routine can solve almost every concern of yours.
- You can use a homemade scrub to exfoliate your underarm before showering. An effective scrub is
- Soak orange peel in raw milk.
- After 10 mins, scrub it on the underarms.
- Bathe every day using a paraben and sulfate-free body wash and loofah. It will remove dead cells, bacterial buildup, deodorants, etc.
- Always clean your armpit before bed using a small amount of Listerine on a cotton pad.
- Try to wear sleeveless while sleeping.
- Moisturize your underarm area using Vitamin – c rich roll-ons.
Underarm care and its issues are topics that aren’t talked about. But keeping it clean is very important for your overall health condition. There is nothing embarrassing about having underarm pimples. It can be prevented and cured by self-care to the most extent. But you should consult a doctor once it gets painful and bleeds.